E: Unable to locate package libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04 AND This package doesn't support your platform, probably you downloaded the wrong package? [UBUNTU]

I’m setting up openframeworks on a brand new PC on which I’ve installed ubuntu 16.04.2.

I don’t know if these are linked but I have two problems:

1 When installing dependencies i get asked

selecting gtk 3
installing OF dependencies with -hwe-16.04 packages, confirm Y/N ?

If I say yes I get the error:

Installing libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04
E: Unable to locate package libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04’
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04’
error installing libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04
Reading package lists… Building dependency tree… Reading state information…
this seems an error with your distribution repositories but you can also
report an issue in the openFrameworks github: http://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues

So I say no, and everything seems to install as normal.

2 When I run compileOF.sh I get an error

compiling 0.9.8 download (of_v0.9.8_linux64_release):

logname: no login name
HOST_OS=Linux
makefileCommon/config.shared.mk:217: *** This package doesn’t support your platform, probably you downloaded the wrong package?. Stop.
there has been a problem compiling Debug OF library
please report this problem in the forums

compiling HEAD:

HOST_OS=Linux
makefileCommon/config.shared.mk:206: *** This package doesn’t support your platform, probably you downloaded the wrong package?. Stop.
there has been a problem compiling Debug OF library
please report this problem in the forums

I’m running OF on 2 other PCs with ubuntu 16.04.02 with pretty much the same stuff installed, not sure what’s going on (only diff is other PCs are running GNOME desktop, this one is UNITY, not sure if it’s linked!?)

Ubuntu Mate Raspberry Pi Setup Guide on RPI-2 board

what happens if you try to compile an example?

doh. I get

Makefile:13: /home/memo/dev/openframeworks/of_v0.9.7_linux64_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target ‘/home/memo/dev/openframeworks/of_v0.9.7_linux64_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk’. Stop.

I’d copied my .profile across from another machine and I had an old $OF_ROOT in there. I didn’t realise $OF_ROOT was used during compilation. I’ve changed it and now it’s compiling. (Also, interesting that compileOF.sh doesn’t throw that particular error).

yes you can set it as an env variable in case you want to override the default. the compileOF script thing is weird though, doesn’t seem related, will take a look when i have a moment

I can confirm though that after fixing the env variable the compileOF script also works.

ah great, thanks for checking, thinking about it, the makefile was just looking for the platform specific config file and showed the error you got. we have that so people downloading 32bit on 64bit or vice versa get a clue of what’s going on but never occurred to me that if could fail if you explicitly set OF_ROOT incorrectly

doing a fresh install of of 0.9.8 on a fresh install of ubunto 16.04.3 on a mac mini.

when running install dependencies it fails with

Installing libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04
E: Unable to locate package libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04’
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04’
error installing libgl1-mesa-dev-hwe-16.04
Reading package lists… Building dependency tree… Reading state information…
this seems an error with your distribution repositories but you can also
report an issue in the openFrameworks github: http://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues

if i decline to install the hwe 16 or not i get this when running make on example files

HOST_OS=Linux
checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-0.10 gstreamer-0.10 gstreamer-video-0.10 gstreamer-base-0.10 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl gl glu glew gtk±2.0 libmpg123
/home/volca/Developer/of_v0.9.8/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/config.shared.mk:294: *** gstreamer-app-0.10 not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? gstreamer-0.10 not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? gstreamer-video-0.10 not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? gstreamer-base-0.10 not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? libudev not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? sndfile not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? openal not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh? openssl not installed. Did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh?. Stop.

I manually installed the dependencies by picking through the installer script on github not clear why it failed?

d

Running 16.04.3 and openFrameworks nightly for GCC 5, I get the same error message if I type “yes”.

If I type “no”, and run make on an example project, then it works fine.

I have been installing linux ubuntu and OF on a dual core intel NUC. I am prepping one and then am going to clone it to 17 more computers. I installed it with no issue with OF 9.8 , QT 4.1 on ubuntu 16.04. Then I learned that I needed to disable uefi to clone the hard drives, and so I reinstalled the OS with this change. Only this time around when I installed OF I encountered the error described in memo’s post. Following Kyle’s instructions using the gcc nightly build I was able to get OF compiling and was able to make and run an example from CL.

I am now running into issues using QT with this set up. I ran the QT Creator script and created a new OF project. It won’t run and I get the following error:

/home/studio/Documents/of_v20170714_linux64gcc5_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/qtcreator/modules/of/of.qbs:563: error: Result of expression ‘CORE.cflags’ [undefined] is not an object.

UPDATE: I did some more searching and found that this error had already been posted about it. So I tried the solutions posted here. but with no luck. (“C++ x86 64bit in /usr/bin” was not listed as an option when I added a kit)

UPDATE 2 / SOLUTION: So I got it working by switching to Qt Creator 4.01 rather than 4.1. Now it is all up and running! :sweat_smile:

I am still curious as to why disabling UEFI would have caused the trouble locating the package…