Does anybody know how to get CLion to work with openFrameworks on macOS?

Hi folks,

Does anybody use openFrameworks with CLion on macOS?

I have tried getting ofxCMake to work, but it doesn’t seem to be maintained anymore. There haven’t been any commits to the GitHub repo since 2017, and the latest version doesn’t seem to harmonise with openFrameworks 0.11.0.
Anyways, I’ve configured everything like indicated on the GitHub page, but CLion spits out a whole lot of errors! It looks for instance for a ofMesh.cpp file, which doesn’t exist anymore.

Are there any alternatives?

I hope to get CLion running, since its performance is a whole lot better than XCode (and I don’t want to switch to Visual Studio Code).

Thanks.

I used AppCode and runs faster than XCode. Tried CLion too without success.

Thanks for the reply, but I don’t want to invest into another software license. :frowning:

Has really nobody this up and running, and is willing to share some knowledge?

There is an old thread here about Cmake. CMake works! Simple usability - CLion support. I do not know the actual status of that repository. I would stick with the supported IDEs, setting up unsupported IDE is usually complicated.

Thanks, but I mentioned above that this method doesn’t seem to work anymore.
CLion is simply a better IDE than Xcode! What can I tell you.

I’ve got it working with a set of kinda-hacky-sortof-working CMake scripts. The latest versions also have Makefile support. I’ve done some limited testing, and for simple cases this works. Haven’t tried with more complicated projects.

1 Like

Oh, I’m using linux, so ‘my’ CMake scripts might need some tweaking.

1 Like

It’s seemed to me like Apple pretty much required Xcode (and a recent version running on a recent Mac) if you want to distribute to their App(le) Stores (which they make so complex that it’s barely possible even using Xcode).

What kind of performance increase would CLion offer?

• it’s overall quicker and snappier, especially for code completion, text editing, and processing “library” files (which in Xcode is pretty horrible)
  • it offers cross-platform support (i.e. Windows, macOS, Linux)
  • it has a smart editor, which by the way is mostly amazing (vs. inferior Inellisense)
  • generally considered one of the best C/C++ IDEs
  • it’s a 250-ish MB installation (just saying, not that you wouldn’t need Xcode either way)

I just wish it would get cross-platform support in openFrameworks. I get that it isn’t free though!
I don’t hate Xcode. but it’s just so cluttered and slow… Visual Studio is better, but I’d argue that CLion is far superior!

1 Like

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the run-down!

Hmm, that does seem worthwhile to try to get working.

Just yesterday I was searching the web for “visual studio find all references takes forever”. :wink:

I’ve been using gcc and er, gedit ( :slight_smile: ), when on Linux. And it has been interesting going between VS, Xcode, gcc and Android Studio, and seeing what they each have to say about my code. It would be nice to have another IDE, and one that works with OF on all three computer OS’s, and especially one that isn’t designed nor developed by Apple, Google nor Microsoft.

1 Like

250 MB? Nice. Especially if it’s not like Visual Studio, which in my case is taking up about 4-5 GB per modest OF project for whatever metadata it thinks is helpful… and it still often takes way too long to seach for things in the project.

1 Like