Difficulty Getting Up and Running - Install / Makefile Bugs on Fedora

Hiya, having trouble installing a working version of openframeworks on fedora linux. I’ve successfully installed openframeworks on multiple linux machines before but this is my first time on fedora and using v0.11.0. I believe this may be a problem with the current source code but figured I’d post here before creating an issue on github because could just be me missing something.

Attempt with of_v0.11.0_linux64gcc6_release.tar.gz

Went through the steps outlined in INSTALL.md. Hit a problem when compiling project generator. It was the same one described in this forum post: Trouble installing on Arch. Decided to switch to the nightly build like recommended there. However it’s notable that the polygon example ran perfectly on this pass.

Attempt with nightly build of_v20201113_linux64gcc6_nightly.tar.gz

Install went smoothly I complied openframeworks and project generator fine. However when I went back to try the polygon example again. Got this error:

[violet@localhost polygonExample]$ make
Makefile:13: /home/ofadmin/openFrameworks/scripts/dev/openFrameworks_pkg_creation/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/ofadmin/openFrameworks/scripts/dev/openFrameworks_pkg_creation/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk'.  Stop.

Also tried compileAllExamples.sh to rule out that it was that particular example. Here’s that output:

[violet@localhost linux]$ ./buildAllExamples.sh 
category ../../examples/threads
-----------------------------------------------------------------
building ../../examples/threads/threadedImageLoaderExample
make: Entering directory '/home/violet/of_v20201113_linux64gcc6_release/examples/threads/threadedImageLoaderExample'
Makefile:13: /home/ofadmin/openFrameworks/scripts/dev/openFrameworks_pkg_creation/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/ofadmin/openFrameworks/scripts/dev/openFrameworks_pkg_creation/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk'.  Stop.
make: Leaving directory '/home/violet/of_v20201113_linux64gcc6_release/examples/threads/threadedImageLoaderExample'
error compiling ../../examples/threads/threadedImageLoaderExample

Not sure how to fix this problem but any advice would be helpful.

I think one possible reason is that I didn’t attempt to do any clean up from the first install because I wouldn’t know where to start.

Looks to me like it might be an openframeworks problem and not a I did something wrong problem but would love to know either way.

Update:

I figured between the two installs I had one that was working version so I just started using v0.11.0 with project generator from the the nightly build. Had to change my .profile but seems to be working well enough to create things. Would still be interested in knowing what’s not working so I can avoid it in the future or report it if it’s a bug.

1 Like