Copying emptyExample to Different Folder

I feel like I’ve done everything to make this work, but still no dice. I wish there was some documentation about this. I’ve copied the emptyProject example into my Documents/Visual Studio 2010/Projects folder. I’ve created a folder Documents/Visual Studio 2010/Libraries and put of_preRelease_v007_vs2010 in there. When I open the copied emptyExample solution, the openframeworksLib is missing. So I delete it, right click on the solution(Solution Explorer) > Add>Existing Project… and find openframeworksLib.vcxproj. Then right click on emptyExample project(Solution Explorer) > Properties > Configuration Properties > C/C++ > General. Change Additional Include Directories to …\Libraries\of_preRelease_v007_vs2010\libs(include directory). Then I go to Configuration Properties > Linker > General: Change Additional Library Directories to …\Libraries\of_preRelease_v007_vs2010\libs(library directory). Common Properties > Framework and References: Remove old openframeworksLibDebug and click Add New Reference… to readd it.

Trying to build it I get this error twice:
\libs\openframeworks\graphics\ofcairorenderer.h(4): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘cairo-features.h’: No such file or directory.

I don’t know what to do since for some reason, the original emptyExample solution doesn’t seem to have a path to the cairo include folder in Configuration Properties > C/C++ > General. That example still works though. When I try to add the cairo folder, I just get another build error that doesn’t make sense to me:

File not found - *.dll

Hopefully someone can help me.

I was able to figure out what I was missing. I had to right click on emptyExample project in the Solution Explorer>Properties>Configuration Properties>Build Events>Post-Build Event and change Command Line to the correct relative path. There’s still one unanswered question though. Why is it in the original emptyExample, under emptyExample>Properties>Configuration Properteis>C/C++>General, there’s no …\libs\cairo\include\cairo and it builds fine. But if I leave that path out of the emptyExample project that I copied, it won’t build? Judging from the amount of traffic the visual studio section gets, I might get an answer in 6 months. Hopefully this thread will help some people out who are as lost as I am.

And one more thing. I don’t know if it’s related to any of this, but why do I get
Cannot find or open the PDB file
about 50 times?
The app still runs, but it sounds kind of important.

By far the easiest way is to keep your projects at the same level as the examples. What I do is create a folder called “myApps” in the apps directory like:

of_preRelease_v007_vs2010/apps/myApps  

So your copied emptyExample would be in

of_preRelease_v007_vs2010/apps/myApps/emptyExample  

Does that work for you?

Thanks for the reply. That’s a good idea. I thought it was kind of silly to have to keep all projects in the examples folder, but this is a good workaround.