Controlling Color Kinetics PDS-60ca lights via UDP?

Hey, have any of you played with these DMX/Ethernet controllable lights from Color Kinetics? I see there are some Processing libraries but I’d rather work in OF.

Interesting! this was what i found for Processing : http://www.directionless.org/color-kinetics/Software
Also, i would like to know if other people never hack this in OF!

In order to control Color Kinetics with KiNet (their proprietary DMX over IP protocol) you would either need to do a lot of packet capturing to figure it out or use a third party software or something to convert a free protocol (such as ArtNet) to KiNet. OLA is a C toolkit app that can convert from pretty much anything to anything. But it won’t do KiNet yet. Link below. Easiest way to control CK products is to use DMX.

http://www.opendmx.net/index.php/Open-Lighting-Architecture

Well, according to the first link, this is a python library for those lights: https://github.com/vishnubob/kinet (so I guess the protocol has already been anaylzed.
You can either wait until OF can interface with python (^^), or look at the code and re-code it in C++ to make an ofxColorKinetics addon. It’s just ~200 lines of code, so this shouldn’t be too much work.

I looked through that link and skipped over the fact that the KiNet was written into it. From the first section it just made mention of writing a program to send DMX to a Enttec box or something. I’d be interested into looking into it too, but I won’t be able to for a couple weeks. I also don’t have any ethernet CK product that I’d be able to test with, so probably won’t be much good for me.

I see that there are also a C++ client library http://www.opendmx.net/index.php/OLA-Client-API , they say that docs are outdated , no idea if this can help …

You can either wait until OF can interface with python (^^), or look at the code and re-code it in C++ to make an ofxColorKinetics addon. It’s just ~200 lines of code, so this shouldn’t be too much work.

yes , python as is said in a this topic http://forum.openframeworks.cc/index.php/topic,9648.msg45584.html#new- should need python bindings… or develop an ofxColorKinetics addon.
i saw also this php client for test http://imaginux.com/lighting/demo/psc/dmx/scenari.php?id=3- Of course , you can’t test without any Color Kinect light, i m wondering to use a such light device type for my final thesis works … but i see the prices of these and aren’t so cheap. So I do not know if I can try something that I am not sure that it works, considering the price, but honestly i don’t see all the types …

The C++ documents in OLA don’t include anything for the KiNet protocol.

OLA though does have the ability to send a ton of other DMX over IP protocols. Its a great package. A goal some day of mine is to create a OLA add on for OF. Just have the time issue…

Ryan

yes , i imagine and understood this.

OLA though does have the ability to send a ton of other DMX over IP protocols. Its a great package. A goal some day of mine is to create a OLA add on for OF. Just have the time issue…

have you experience with other types of DMX light apart Color Kinetics and if yes which others do you suggest to use to start, considering prices and code difficulties ?

I think you’re not going to be able to avoid writing your own protocol implementation. But seeing that the protocol apparently has already been implemented in a short python file, I think it won’t be too difficult, and then you maybe even can contribute this to OLA and/or OF.

KiNet is a difficult protocol to implement to something like OLA. I have talked to them about adding it. Problem is that it isn’t an open source documented protocol and thus people can get in trouble for reverse engineering it and distributing it. Its typically licensed by ColorKinetics on a individual basis.

The other part that is harder with KiNet (from what I understand) is typically you have to find the lights via the network, then map them programmatically then send them DMX. Its not like ArtNet where you are sending a stream of DMX data and anything on the network can grab any part of that data you want. I believe its more like a unicast type environment with KiNet.

As far as Color Kinetics LED’s in general:
Pros: They are everywhere, easily obtained. There are a lot of models to do anything you may need.
Cons: Coloration of the LED’s drift over time. They aren’t very reliable. Repairs are very expensive. Require a lot of proprietary elements depending on what products you are using. Addressing tools are expensive. CK in general is very expensive. Getting parts/servicing is a pain.

Another company that has a very similar line up is Traxon technologies. They have the dots, media tubes with individual pixels and well everything you could want. Everything of theirs uses DMX though. Its not very expensive to get ethernet to DMX boxes with a bunch of universes on them. They also have a box called VMC that takes a DVI input and you can map LED’s to pixels like if you made an LED wall out of dots or tubes or something. That is 2048 channels per cable so you can get a lot more out of one universe of special DMX. It can also do regular DMX.

to @ryanww: i find your answer very clear, honest and useful.Thanks for the feedback and the attention!
I will look at the Traxon tecnologies, wep pages seems interesting. Do you usually works with this kind of light installation? I mean as a professional in the field…

Yes, I do lighting professionally. I use Traxon a bit as well as CK plus others. Traxon works pretty well for what it is, and its a more aggressive price point for its features and service.

[quote=“NovySan, post:1, topic:9960”]
_Hey, have any of you played with these DMX/Ethernet controllable led-light from Color Kinetics? I see there are some Processing libraries but I’d rather work in OF. _
[/quote]hello were you able to sort out the problem? I am facing similar issue with my lights color… Just provide the information about processing libraries… Thanks

For speed’s sake I just went with Processing. I haven’t needed to use them since so I haven’t had a chance to write them up for OF. Still want to though.

OLA has a bit of code that is written in C++ and utilizes the KiNet protocol. I took a look at it a while back, but haven’t had a need to implement it into anything yet. In time I will probably wrap it into an addon.

NovySan

Although its possible, its quite complex and for most lighting projects that I have seen with colorkinetics ends using the Phillips video processors that uses pixel mapping to translate on their own protocol.

oh,i haven’t use Kinet to control CK’s PDS,but i have use my controller to driver color kinetics’ iColor_Flex_MX family LED light,if you interest can connect with me renshao78@163.com,my website www.nat-lite.com