Compile Error: "redeclared as different kind of symbol" on Ubuntu 18.10

Hello! I am completely new to openFrameworks and was excited to try it. I downloaded the source code for Linux build (I am on Ubuntu 18.10), and installed all the dependencies, as outlined in this page. After doing that, I attempted to compile as instructed in that same page. Unfortunately, I got a compiler error very quickly. Here is the full output.
The majority of the errors look like this, they all mentioned “redeclared as different kind of symbol”:

In file included from /home/ben/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofConstants.h:212,
                 from /home/ben/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworks/3d/of3dUtils.h:3,
                 from /home/ben/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworks/3d/of3dUtils.cpp:1:
/usr/include/GL/glext.h:12098:92: error: 'void __glewGetFragmentMaterialfvSGIX(GLenum, GLenum, GLfloat*)' redeclared as different kind of symbol
 GLAPI void APIENTRY glGetFragmentMaterialfvSGIX (GLenum face, GLenum pname, GLfloat *params);
                                                                                            ^
In file included from /home/ben/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofConstants.h:210,
                 from /home/ben/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworks/3d/of3dUtils.h:3,
                 from /home/ben/of_v0.10.1_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworks/3d/of3dUtils.cpp:1:
/usr/include/GL/glew.h:19356:52: note: previous declaration 'void (* __glewGetFragmentMaterialfvSGIX)(GLenum, GLenum, const GLfloat*)'
 GLEW_FUN_EXPORT PFNGLGETFRAGMENTMATERIALFVSGIXPROC __glewGetFragmentMaterialfvSGIX;
                                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is some additional information about my setup:
G++ version: 8.2.0
Output of uname -a:
Linux desk 4.18.0-16-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 8 00:06:57 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Am I missing a dependency? Missing a step? Let me know if y’all need additional information.

This is a known issue and it’s solved if you download the nightly builds instead of the current version. We’ll do a new release soon with this and other fixes

2 Likes