Code::Blocks plugin for openFrameworks in progress

I’m working on a plugin for Code::Blocks which let you add ofx* addons to your
project. It scans your addons directory and uses the install.xml files to setup
everything which is necessary for your project.

[b]So addon developers start using those nice install.xml files :-)! Please tell me if I’m missing something.

I’m also thinking to create a downloader/installer as part of the code::blocks plugin. This wouldn’t take lots of time, though currently there isnt a central space to store addons. If I’m gonna make this, it would be great if addon developers could upload their ‘latest’ version to something like: http://www.openframeworks.cc/addons/[name].zip?

Roxlu

install.zip

install.zip

this is great. I’ll update my install.xml’s straight away!

Great! If you want some Linux testing, send it my way.

hi roxlu

great stuff!

i can test in windows codeblocks, so send me the plugin.

there are two types of addons, core and community contributed.

any addons that are currently posted on the forums, or on google code for example, we will be making sure that they are posted to
http://addons.openframeworks.cc/

that way you always go there for the latest version, it says who maintains the addon etc etc.

dani has made a list of addons into a spreadsheet that weve organised into categories, i will email you those details (not on the forum) as there is quite a lot missing from your list.

hey roxlu,

I have fixed the ofxOpenCv install.xml. Let me know if you still have problems.

I am excited about this project. Keep up the good work!

/stefan

hi stefanix,

I also fixed the openCV addon to work on windows. I let it statically link now, and this works. Though I havent’ tested it under mac/linux.

But thanks a lot!

roxlu

Hi roxlu

Whats the download link to try this plugin out?

thanks
chris

Hi Chris,

My bad, I wanted to let it beta test first :wink: but here is a document which describes how to install the plugin under windows:

http://code.google.com/p/ofcodeblockspl-…-orksPlugin

Note: I’ve changed the install.xml files for the base modules so they work under windows. You can find them when you checkout the complete repository.

Roxlu

A couple of weeks I started trying to create a plugin for XCode to install addons easily using a kind of similar plugin like the plugin I created for Code::Blocks, though the documentation on how to write plugins for XCode is really bad and I only found a reverse engineered reference. I gave it a try using AppleScript with which I was able to create a simple plugin that added a file to the project…though I couldnt find out how to tweak other project properties so I will wait untill Aplle will reveal the XCode plugin documentation.

But, in the meanwhile I’ve been working on the OpenFrameworks plugin for Code::Blocks for the Mac. I just, finally after a couple of days debuggin, managed to install my plugin on Mac. Though it’s not yet ready as I need to tweak some cross-platform related stuff which I will do as soon as possible. But here is some eyecandy
:wink:

[attachment=0:1j9fh624]openframeworks_addon.png[/attachment:1j9fh624]

Hey. I finally got round to updating all my install.xml, all on svn http://code.google.com/p/ofxmsaof/

So when can we get our hands on this plugin/script? :stuck_out_tongue: (for C::B windows)

hey,

the .plugin is much more straight forward for me and it installed fine. I checked out the dir with SVN and installed the .plugin file in codeblocks

Im using CodeBlocks on winXp and I follow this procedure

File -> New Project -> OpenFrameworks

I Create a new project in a sub dir of the apps dir on the Openframeworks dir. this works find and compiles fine with no errors.

I then use Plugins->OpenFrameworks and select ‘ofxOpenCV’, click ‘add addons to project’ and select Debug and Release.

I can now see new ‘addons’ folders under ‘sources’ and ‘headers’ of the project tree.

When i compile now (either Debug or Release) I get a huge amount of errors 50+.

examples

obj\release\addons\ofxOpenCv\src\ofxCvFloatImage.o:ofxCvFloatImage.cpp:(.text+0xf32)||undefined reference to `_cvCopy’|

obj\release\addons\ofxOpenCv\src\ofxCvFloatImage.o:ofxCvFloatImage.cpp:(.text+0xe9f)||undefined reference to `_cvCreateImage’|

Is there something Im doing wrong? Do I need to copy the files across to the project dir somewhere? The openCV examples compile fine so im a little stumped

If it helps when i go back to Plugins->OpenFrameworks the ofxOpenCV addon is not checked.

thanks for your help

Im going to log any developments with this in an aim to help others with similar issues

[edit] my problem was with the linker settings not pointing to the correct header files required for the library/Addon (I used one of the examples to find the required paths) and so the header files couldn’t be found. Would it be possible for the plugin to add these paths in future versions? [/edit]

Hi Roxlu,

I converted your codeblocks plugin to linux :slight_smile:

I made some minor changes to the code in order to use the ‘os’ attribute for include paths in the install.xml

I’m sending you the files that I changed, and also the dynamic library .so file for the linux plugin.

I also created a .cbp file for the linux plugin.

Not sure whether we can now bundle them all into the one .cbplugin file as linux and OSX generate the same named .so file.

Here are the links:
http://www.digitalstar.net/openframeworks/OpenFrameworks-cbplugin-linux.zip
http://www.digitalstar.net/openframeworks/OpenFrameworks-cbplugin-linux64.zip

thanks!

EDIT: I also added a change to enable multiple requires tags…i.e.
ofxThread
ofxVectorMath

previously you couldn’t have more than 1 requires tag…

Hi,

I am trying to use this plugin but somehow it does not intirely work.
I want to add the OpenCv addon to my project. After I use the plugin I can see alle files of OpenCv, but when I compile it says it cannot find a lot of references like cvCopy and cvReleaseImage. So somewhere a link is missing probably. Can you help?

When I try to install the plugin I get:

“Cannot open destination file ‘[…] /plugins/OpenFramworks.dll’ for writing”.

Any ideas?

[quote author=“cubeandcore”]When I try to install the plugin I get:

Any ideas?[/quote]

I get the same thing… Would be nice with a fix, this seems like a great plugin :slight_smile:

The plugin works, I’ve tested it on XP and Vista.
What platform are you on?

[quote author=“grimus”]The plugin works, I’ve tested it on XP and Vista.
What platform are you on?[/quote]

Oh, there might be your problem. I am on Win7.

[quote author=“stefanix”]hey roxlu,

I have fixed the ofxOpenCv install.xml. Let me know if you still have problems.

I am excited about this project. Keep up the good work!

/stefan[/quote]

Hi Stefan,

could you post the fixed file somewhere?
Thanks,

Snoogie

[quote author=“Sapientum”][quote author=“cubeandcore”]When I try to install the plugin I get:

Any ideas?[/quote]

I get the same thing… Would be nice with a fix, this seems like a great plugin :)[/quote]

Just thought I’d post the solution to this so it’s easy to find on this thread. I got this error on Windows7, mainly because W7 is very protective of your ProgramFiles folder. Just navigate to that plugins folder (it should be in /CodeBlocks/share/CodeBlocks/) , and simply right click the folder and select “properties” to change the folder permissions. Once in the properties, go to the securty tab, and make sure that your username and the system and trusted installers all have write permissions for that folder. If they don’t, you can highlight a name and select “edit” to check off the write permissions. Once you do that, CodeBlocks should be able to write to that folder automatically, and the installation should work.