Catch ofGstUtils errors

Hello,

I am using video grabber on Linux with USB camera which in a PCB factor ( something like this ).
Sometimes when the webcam is unplugged or the wire become lose, I get some ofGstUtils error, like:

[ error ] ofGstUtils: gstHandleMessage(): embedded video playback halted for plugin, module video_source reported: Internal data flow error.
[ error ] ofGstUtils: gstHandleMessage(): embedded video playback halted for plugin, module video_source reported: Cannot identify device ‘/dev/video0’.

Usually when this happens, my application crashes and I would like to avoid that.
Is there a way to get to know when there are problem with ofGstUtils? I would like to re-initialise the camera if possible or at least send a message to the user to notify him that something wrong happened.

Thanks

Is this crashing inside ofGstUtils or somwhere in your application? if it’s in ofGstUtils it would be really useful if you could open an issue with a stacktrace so we can fix it.

In any case with the gstreamer video grabber there’s a way to plug a listener to be notified about any changes in the pipeline:

auto grabber = videoGrabber.getGrabber<ofGstVideoGrabber>();
auto videoUtils = grabber->getGstVideoUtils();
videoUtils->setSinkListener(this);

Then make your ofApp or whatever class you are starting the video from, implement ofGstAppSink and it’s on_message method:

class ofApp: public ofBaseApp, public ofGstAppSink{
    bool on_message(GstMessage* msg){
        switch (GST_MESSAGE_TYPE (msg)) {
              case GST_MESSAGE_ERROR: {
                    // an error has occurred
                   break;
              }
              default: 
                  break;
        }
        return true;
    }
}

Thanks for your answer arturo!

In the meantime I was trying some things on my side and it seems that in itself ofGstUtils is not crashing. I guess it’s how I use it in my application that makes it crash.

Great tip to have a listener for changes in the pipeline. It seems that’s what I was looking for.
I will test this out and come back if have more problems.

Cheers! :slight_smile: