C++ programming offered - Free (NY Area)

Hi there,

I write C++ code for a living.
The systems that I write/design are trading systems. They’re not generally all that interesting—they handle some trading and pricing and other tedious, but important, high speed, business processes in the finance industry.
I have been passively checking out the work the people are doing here and I must say - This is a lot more interesting and fulfilling in my opinion.

I live close to the new york city area and and I am willing to do some free programming work (approx 8-10 hours a week) for any of your upcoming projects.

In return, I just want to learn your techniques.

Sounds fair? Pls drop me a line at decebel@gmail.com

Dece

Howdy,

If you do an work for free, you will be depriving someone else (who may not be so fortunate as to hold down a steady job) of an income.

Please reconsider offering your skills for free. If you want to get some experience there are *plenty* of studios (many of them members of the openFrameworks community) who I am sure would be happy to have you work with them as an intern.

Thanks,
Damian

Are you serious Damian?
Does that also mean I should also stop contributing to OF and the community, cause I do it for free, beside my “real” job? I mean, I could conceivably take someone’s spot who may be able to get a grant for working on OF…

Also, I’m sure there are lots of art-related OF projects around which have no or very little funding, so you wouldn’t take anybody’s “spot” there.
Additionally, isn’t being an intern with a studio the same thing as offering to contribute for free? As far as I know, interns get paid ~ a pittance, and could also take the spot of a payable coder, so why do you recommend that instead? If you refute that argument (probably because of the different level of experience of the two), you also have to refute your own, because Dece, just like an intern, doesn’t have OF experience, so wouldn’t take anybody’s spot away…

Lastly, there’s always the possibility to learn your ropes, and later contribute to OF directly - people diagnosing/hunting/fixing bugs (we got around 300 open bug tickets atm), writing examples&documentation, etc, are always useful.

Dece, to get a feel about OF, go take a look at the greatly expanded list of examples in the upcoming release. You can find this in the develop branch on github: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/tree/develop/examples

i think it’s different here… dece isn’t offering to contribute stuff to OF, he seems more offering to help someone out on a specific project. sure, art projects may be an exception, but afaict c++ stuff doesn’t tend to happen for free in the n.y. area, unless someone’s getting ripped off.

So why is it better if people call him “intern” instead of “guy who helps us out while learning OF”? Granted, I don’t know about the NYC intern situation specifically, but I would be surprised if the monetary compensation is of a significant size.

with the title ‘intern’ then you know (and everyone else knows) that the pay is crappy and you know what position you’re in (‘learning the ropes’ so to speak). if you’re saying ‘i’ll do what professionals do because i already have the skills, but i’ll do it for free because i don’t need the money’ then to me you’re quite clearly taking the place of someone who could be earning a living with this stuff.

basically it’s the equivalent of doing-‘spec-work’-in-the-design-industry; the outcome is that we all lose.

with the title ‘intern’ then you know (and everyone else knows) that the pay is crappy and you know what position you’re in (‘learning the ropes’ so to speak). if you’re saying ‘i’ll do what professionals do because i already have the skills, but i’ll do it for free because i don’t need the money’ then to me you’re quite clearly taking the place of someone who could be earning a living with this stuff.

basically it’s the equivalent of doing-‘spec-work’-in-the-design-industry; the outcome is that we all lose.

basically it’s the equivalent of doing ‘spec work’ in the design industry (cf http://www.no-spec.com/faq/); the outcome is that we all lose. the outcome is that we all lose.

this is weird, i’m being flagged as spam and my messages aren’t showing up…

huh, strange. Ask arturo to take a look and restore your messages, he’s got the permissions afaik.

With all due respect, my intention was not to affect someone else’s job prospects.
With my post, my goal was to get some experience and beginner’s always have some initial hiccups. I wanted to offer my programming skills and in turn was asking for some real project work. I have looked at OF API but I dont have necessary experience to work on a real-life project. Also, I have a few limitations of my own (cannot work full time etc) hence I wanted to do this for free.

Again apologies if I have hurt someone.
-Dece

hi Dece,

i didn’t mean to make out that you had hurt someone (certainly you haven’t hurt me!). if you would like some experience, get in contact with some of the New York based people on this forum - there are many: Theo Watson, Zach Lieberman, Kyle McDonald and James George spring to mind immediately, but there are plenty of others. ask them if you can go and visit them in their studios, or meet up for a beer, or something like that – most of these people don’t work ‘full-time’ but rather as freelancers and as a result have very flexible schedules.

but don’t offer to do ‘work’-work for free, even if you don’t think you have the skills or the experience! especially don’t do this in new york! programming is programming is programming; real-time is simply another set of constraints. i’m positive that if you spent a couple of hours with someone who does this professionally you’d pick it up easily. and these people are by and large friendly and very approachable. there’s no need to offer yourself for free!

cheers
damian

Hey Damian,

I can see your point here, but I’d just mention that I’ve had interns in the past, and it has always worked out. If I work on any commercial projects, I’d find ways to get them paid (as is totally reasonable), but if we working on side projects, hobbies, etc it was unpaid. From their perspective, it was a good learning opportunity, and I think both the interns and myself got alot out of it.

I think you are right to suggest don’t work for free if it’s a cell phone commercial or installation sponsored by red bull, but if it’s a project or hobby that’s not paid (for me that would include openframeworks and eyewriter) I can see the value in it.

take care,
zach