Bundling and accessing media files inside a .app package in OS X

Hello,
first post!
I have an ofx app that loads some images from disk at runtime. I use ofImage::load() to load from a relative path. However this comes with the following disadvantages when I distribute the app (I am only interested in distributing for OSX):

• Relying on a relative path means I have to ship the .app package AND a data/ folder containing the images. If the two are not in the same folder then image loading fails
  • on OS X > 10.12 , the “quarantine flag” and “translocation” mean that the relative path will always fail for apps downloaded from the internet (see, e.g.: here).

To solve both issues above, it would be great if I could bundle the images INSIDE the .app package. What is the best way of doing this with ofx?

Thanks,
Giulio

Hi, it is quite simple.
use ofSetDataPathRoot
then move the files into the desired location within the .app bundle.
usually this would be the Resources folder.
You also can automate this by adding a script in the “run script” section in the build phases settings in xcode.
hope this helps.

hi @giulio,

I wrote a blog post about this here:
http://nickhardeman.com/591/preparing-an-openframeworks-application-for-the-mac-app-store/

Quicktime is no longer included in OF I believe, so you can ignore that section.
Best,
Nick

Thanks, I tried

ofSetDataPathRoot("../Resources/");
ofDirectory dir;
dir.listDir("");

however when I run it, it gives:

[ error ] ofDirectory: listDir:() source directory does not exist: ""../Resources/""
Loading images relative to:/Users/giulio/studiosimulation/of_v0.9.8_osx_release/project/Studio/StudioSimulation/bin/../Resources/

Now, /Users/giulio/studiosimulation/of_v0.9.8_osx_release/project/Studio/StudioSimulation/bin/ is where the StudioSimulation.app lives, so it is still looking for a path relative to the .app package and not to the binary which is in StudioSimulation.app/Contents/MacOS.

Am I doing something wrong?

what do you get when you call the following?

cout << ofFilePath::getCurrentExePath() << endl;
cout << ofFilePath::getCurrentWorkingDirectory() << endl;

the following will change the data path to the resources folder, at least for me.

ofSetDataPathRoot(ofFilePath::getCurrentWorkingDirectory());

which OF version are you using?

cout << "Before exepath: " << ofFilePath::getCurrentExePath() << endl;
    cout << "Before cwd    : " << ofFilePath::getCurrentWorkingDirectory() << endl;
	ofSetDataPathRoot("../Resources/");
    cout << "After exepath:  " << ofFilePath::getCurrentExePath() << endl;
    cout << "After cwd:      " << ofFilePath::getCurrentWorkingDirectory() << endl;

gives :

Before exepath: /Users/giulio/studiosimulation/of_v0.9.8_osx_release/project/Studio/StudioSimulation/bin/StudioSimulation.app/Contents/MacOS/StudioSimulation
Before cwd    : /Users/giulio/studiosimulation/of_v0.9.8_osx_release/project/Studio/StudioSimulation/bin
After exepath:  /Users/giulio/studiosimulation/of_v0.9.8_osx_release/project/Studio/StudioSimulation/bin/StudioSimulation.app/Contents/MacOS/StudioSimulation
After cwd:      /Users/giulio/studiosimulation/of_v0.9.8_osx_release/project/Studio/StudioSimulation/bin

This is of_v0.9.8_osx_release

I’m using the github master. something must have changed.
does it work if you call?

ofSetDataPathRoot(ofFilePath::getCurrentExeDir()"/../Resources/");

you can use the following to check the if it is correct

cout << ofToDataPath("",true) << endl;

Yes thanks that’s what I ended up doing in the end.