building universal binary does not work: freetype

i wanted to test the movie player on different machines (ppc, intel based mac’s).
normally the way to do this with one binary is to go universal building.

i set up xcode to produce intel and ppc universal binaries and then rebuilt the project.
now a problem (seems freetype) comes up.

at the installation of openframeworks we have choosen on what architecture the
freetype lib is running (intel in my case). now when building universal bin’s, there
is no freetype for ppc to compile. this leads to following error:

cd
/usr/bin/ld: warning /Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/…/…/libs/freetype_osx_local/lib/freetype.a archive’s cputype (7, architecture i386) does not match cputype (18) for specified -arch flag: ppc (can’t load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_FT_Done_Face
_FT_Done_FreeType
_FT_Get_Char_Index
_FT_Init_FreeType
_FT_Load_Glyph
_FT_New_Face
_FT_Render_Glyph
_FT_Set_Char_Size
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Done_Face
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Done_FreeType
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Get_Char_Index
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Init_FreeType
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Load_Glyph
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_New_Face
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Render_Glyph
/Users/trz/Desktop/of_preRelease_v0.01_xcode/app/moviePlayerExample/build/openFrameworks.build/Release/openFrameworks.build/Objects-normal/ppc/ofTrueTypeFont.o reference to undefined _FT_Set_Char_Size
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

it could be that building universal binaries is not possible at all this way,
but as i am a complete newbie on xcode and c++ i cannot know exactly.

what do you think?

thank you,
daniel

Yeah - that is a side effect of the libs being either ppc or intel. Ideally we should have universal binaries for those libs - I only recently realised this was possible. IF you can include both libs in the project (rename the PPC ones or something) this might work. But I will see if we can get universal libs for the next release.

Thanks for letting us know!