Building in macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Looks like it is still in progress from what I can tell: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-85279

The nightly builds do currently work with Xcode and native arm64 on M1.
I am guessing VSCode ( which you can generate with the projectGenerator ) and which uses the OF make files would work natively too.

Ok. I think I need to shift to Xcode since it allows me to build natively. Thanks a lot!

Fixed by downloading of_v.11 nightly build (of_v20210221_osx_release).

I ran into this issue using of_v0.10.1 and of_v0.11.0. Changing the build script did not work for me.

I’m now compiling some projects in XCode 12 / Apple M1 it is running great (openFrameworks latest / patch-release branch).
The only issue is the retina windows are tiny, seems like they are drawn in absolute pixels 1:1 and not scaled 1:2
Anybody else having this issue?

1 Like

@dimitre I think that is a known issue and hopefully something we can work on for 0.12.0

Currently enabling retina will give you a window with the absolute pixel dimension you request.
Once you have your retina window you can query ofAppGLFWWindow for the pixel scale and then adjust all the rendering to compensate.

We had considered handling it all for the user and doing some sort of global scale to compensate, but it doesn’t cleanly work for things like fonts etc.

I think for 0.12.0 we could at least get the window size being the same appearance regardless of retina / non-retina and maybe have a bit better support for some other parts of it. The tricky thing also is when you move your app window to a retina screen from a non retina screen or vice-versa.

If you think there is a regression from 0.11.0 def post an issue though.
I might be misunderstanding the problem. :slight_smile:

I get the app running but there are tons of errors in the buildtime slide, is that normal?

Hi, can you share the errors you are seeing?
Thanks!

sureee

Ah that is helpful. Thanks!

Those Warnings are normal.
Though the header map one is something we probably should address soon.

Theo

1 Like

Thank you theo! You are awesome!

@theo I’m very new in oF, can you give me a little guide of how achieve this?

Hi!

Try the nightly downloads for osx linked at the bottom of:
https://openframeworks.cc/download/

if you are using Apple M1 and building with make (VSCode) it worths installing make using homebrew, so you use arm-apple-darwin20.2.0 instead of i386-apple-darwin11.3.0

to make it work I had to edit ~/.zprofile file and add new make to the PATH variable
PATH="/opt/homebrew/opt/make/libexec/gnubin:$PATH"

1 Like

Hey theo! Im having a problem with audio, I think is because of the mac :(( when i try to run it marks an error in this line

FMOD_System_PlaySound(sys, FMOD_CHANNEL_FREE, sound, bPaused, &channel);

please help :frowning:

also i leave here a screenshot

Hi @EmilianoAlba54
We have found a maybe related issue with ofFmodSoundPlayer with the 0.11.1 release.

Can you see if the changes mentioned here fix the issue for you?

If they don’t could you share the most minimal ofApp.cpp example that triggers the crash and we can help you find a fix for it.

Thanks!!
Theo

Sorry to hijack this, but could someone with an M1 mac mini running a native M1 version of OF run the glInfo example included in OF, and post the full report here?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Can anyone help me with this error here?

It happens after the build phase, and seems different to the linker error above.
I’m pretty stuck - I had to do the Big Sur update and now I can’t run any of my sketches at all…. Eeeek

S

Hello,
Now it works.

I am on Big Sur on Intel and I was getting the same dylib error.

After

1. cloning master branch GitHub,
  2. running the sh libs script,
  3. and downloading the nightly build just for getting the compiled Project Generator,

it worked perfect.

Regards