Bginners help

Hi, well, im really beginner in of. so, i installed all that normally we need to run the examples, when a try to open the .dev file to get the list o samples i didnt get anything at all, and in if i open the file in the Dev C++ program and try to open it, i complile it first and then i run it and it says “source file not compiled” i download all the pçdevpacks for zlib a directx, if some one have the patience to explain me, thanks for your time, and im doing my best to learn this!! thanks again…

can you try setting up codeblocks ? in versions 0.05 and 0.06 dev-c++ is no longer supported.

follow:
http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/code-…-etup-guide
especially step (e) –

then, download the codeblock of release, and open up any .cbproj files (in the apps/ examples) folder with codeblocks and you should be able to compile and run.

hope that helps !

take care!
zach

Im gonna try that, and lets see if i do the right job, i will tell you later, thanks a lot ZACH !!!

hey! i’m new to of too and i’m getting an error when trying to build an example in c::b. the example is the window one (windowExample) and the error message is: “ld.exe cannot find -lstrmbase”.

also, are there any of beginner oriented tutorials anywhere?

I think you are missing step (e), from this guide:

http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/code-…-etup-guide

there are some guides here:
http://wiki.openframeworks.cc/index.php?title=Main-Page
but alot more are coming soon…

hope that helps !!

take care!
zach

well…i did that already, tried it again, to make sure, but i still get the same error :frowning:

thanks

are you sure that you copied the “contents” of one folder to another… ?

for example, do you have a file :

c:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\lib\libSTRMBASE.a

where c:\Program Files is the path to your applications ? (it’s written different in different languages of windows, etc)

thanks!
zach

yeah…i know all that, and yes, i have that file in the respective folder :?

no help? :smiley: the problem was code::blocks’s compiler auto-detect function, detecting dev-c++'s mingw installation instead of cb’s itself.

hey there.

can someone please make a guide on how to create & compile a new of project from scratch (in code::blocks)? … it has been a nightmare to me trying to start with of(+c::b)

there is a readMe file in the OF folder which was this info –

I’m reposting that content here:

if you want to make a new project:

a) copy the folder inside of apps and paste in the same directory

ie (copy “emptyExample” and paste “copy of emptyExample”)

b) rename the folder, and inside the folder, rename the .cbp and .workspace

c) open the .cbp file with a text editor. change the occurances of the old name to the new name:

line 5:
line 11: <Option output=“bin\emptyExample” prefix_auto=“1” extension_auto=“1” />
line 18: <Option output=“bin\emptyExample_DEBUG” prefix_auto=“1” extension_auto=“1” />

(note, from 0.06 on, you only have to change line 5 do to some marcos…)

for example, if I copied emptyexample and wanted to call it “coolExample” would look like:

line 5:
line 11: <Option output=“bin\coolExample” prefix_auto=“1” extension_auto=“1” />
line 18: <Option output=“bin\coolExample_DEBUG” prefix_auto=“1” extension_auto=“1” />

in the solution file, change the name of .cbp file:

line 4:

to whatever you’ve renamed the cbp to.

hope that helps !
zach

ps: be sure to put the new project at the right depth – all the linking and including in OF is relative, ie, …/…/…/libs, etc so when you make new projects, take care that they match the depth of the examples that ship with OF. you can do:

OF
---- apps
-------- examples
-------- addonsExamples
-------- myStuff
-------------- projectA
-------------------- projectA.cbp

etc…