Best way to plot ofSoundBuffer waveform in a fragment shader?

I’ve been trying to plot a sound waveform in a fragment shader for a few days now with no success. I’m assuming the proper way to do this is to convert the sound buffer into a texture and then send the texture as a uniform, but I’ve tried to do this in a number of different ways with no luck so far! any ideas?

Hi @fidete , did you try getting the sound buffer data into an ofFloatPixels, and then use it for the ofTexture? I’m thinking something like this would work:

// in ofApp.h
    ofSoundBuffer soundBuffer;
    ofFloatPixels fPixels; // values 0.0 - 1.0
    ofTexture texture;

// in ofApp.setup()
    // soundBuffer will have 1 channel with 160000 samples (200 * 200 * 4);
    // fPixels will be RGBA 200 x 200
    int width = 200;
    int height = 200;
    int numChannels = 4; // RGBA

// allocate soundBuffer and fill it with noise
    soundBuffer.allocate(width * height * numChannels, 1);
    soundBuffer.fillWithNoise();

// set fPixels from soundBuffer
    fPixels.setFromPixels(soundBuffer.getBuffer().data(), width, height, numChannels);
    // set texture from fPixels
    texture.loadData(fPixels);

// in ofApp.draw()
    // texture should have "rainbow" RGBA noise
    texture.draw(0.f, 0.f);

I haven’t used ofSoundBuffer at all. I’m thinking that channels are interleaved for more than 1 channel.

There is also ofBufferObject, which is kinda like a texture for data. The /examples/gl/textureBufferInstancedExample project is a pretty clear example of how to use this class if you’re interested.

Edit: I forgot that sound typically is in the range of -1.0 - 1.0. So multiplying every sample by 0.5 and adding 0.5 should correct the range to 0.0 - 1.0. I don’t think an RGBA texture can have values outside of 0.0 - 1.0.

Also, there are some texture formats that (should) accommodate values outside of 0.0 - 1.0, like GL_RGBA32F and GL_RGBA16F. But these might be better suited to getting data out of a shader (as a texture).

1 Like