Best practices with Mojave?

Hi

I’ve developed a project in osx 10.11 and now I’m trying to move it to osx 10.14 Mojave. I’ve seen a change in the graphics and a drop in performance in the transition.

Are there any tips to update the code for better performance and results?

I’m using an FBO and openGL calls through ofGraphics like ofEnableBlendMode(OF_BLENDMODE_ALPHA); ofEnableBlendMode(OF_BLENDMODE_DISABLED) and ofEnableAlphaBlending()
Also, there is extensive use of ofMesh’s, drawn with the method drawFaces(),

Should these methods be adapted somehow to Mojave and Metal? SHould I look for something else in the code that can be impacting the performance and look?

cheers

Hi,
Mojave is a pain. I just had to do a project that was run on a machine with Mojave and it was really bad.
Probably updating all to metal will work but you’ll need to do such and it would be loads of work.
I would recommend, downgrade from mojave if it is somehow possible or simply switch from macos to something else. I’ve been a Mac user for my whole life but in the recent years Apple has seen a heavy decline in the quality of their products’ performance which has made me really tempted to completely move out from the Apple ecosystem. While on the windows side things seem a lot better. I’ve done lots of projects on Windows 10 and it works really well. Once you get used to it, it is a very comfortable OS, much more comfortable to a Macos user than the previous Windows versions. Visual studio is a super well made IDE and I think that it performs a lot better than Xcode. (the code completion works really well, which at least in my experience is usually broken or partly works on xcode). Last but not least, on Windows you can get monstrous computers with super powerfull GPUs, that you will not be able to get on an Apple device.
Also, you could switch to Linix. It also works really well but I have had some issues in the past with the graphics. I dont know if this is fixed but it is worth giving it a try.

Cheers

1 Like