audio libraries for codewarrior on windows

hi.

I’m looking for an audio library for loading wav or mp3 files (rtAudio is too low level for this, I think). I’ve been googling and have found a couple of libs, but as it will be used with openframeworks, do you guys have any recommendations?

Also an easy compilation with codewarrior would be a plus, as this is the environment I’m currently using.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

On windows, there are two we would recommend : fmod and audiere.

We are actually working on integrating fmod for the next pre-release.

Fmod is super-well documented, simple, and pretty universal. but it’s also commercial, so that you have to pay to use it in commercial projects (there is a kind of “shareware” license, because their primary target audience is game developers, etc). It’s also cross platform (although the latest fmod, ‘ex’, is written in a way which makes it not that compatible with codewarrior/dev-c++, etc). We will be using an earlier version (non-ex).

The fmod stuff, barring any unforeseen problems with osx, should be in the next release.

Audiere is not cross platform, but it’s pretty similar in it’s approach, and I bet it can be integrated easily.

We’ve also looked into quicktime, for playing audio files, but to be honest, the quicktime API is super gnarly.

hope that helps - let me know if you have integration questions.

take care,
zach

It was after asking when I had a look at the additions for the next prerelease and saw fmod… perhaps I can wait.

Anyway, I’ll have a look at both. Thanks a lot!

[quote author=“zach”]Hi,
Fmod is super-well documented, simple, and pretty universal. but it’s also commercial, so that you have to pay to use it in commercial projects (there is a kind of “shareware” license, because their primary target audience is game developers, etc).[/quote]
hi:
any cross-platform freeware alternative? Fmod is highly priced for an occasional use

It’s also cross platform (although the latest fmod, ‘ex’, is written in a way which makes it not that compatible with codewarrior/dev-c++, etc). We will be using an earlier version (non-ex).
The fmod stuff, barring any unforeseen problems with osx, should be in the next release.

is it MacIntel compatible? there’s only one version to download while in Ex there’re PPC & x86 versions
i’m developing in a MacIntel but the application will run in a Windows machine

tia,

The old version has both ppc and intel libs too - even though there is only one download listed.

Next release of OF will have universal libs for fmod and all the other libraries too.