Artnet communication

Hi,

I have to build an application which send a command to a GrandMA over an artnet network.
I am trying this addon https://github.com/tobiasebsen/ofxArtNet but i can’t really understand how it works.

of course i read documentation about artnet protocol but in this library i can’t understand the kind of data i should send !

anyone into artnet ? and/or explain how to use these methods (like sendDmx() for instance) from this library ?

thanks a lot

Ok i figured it out.
The app must be set as a Node (not a server)
Port must be set as Input (to send data)

Some problem with terms used in the library that are not compliant with artnet protocol terms, so i was lost. For instance :

In the library they speak about Port, Universe, Subnet… but we have :

• Port (in the library) = Universe (according to the protocol)
  • Universe = Port-Adress
  • Subnet = Subnet

SMarty,

Are you using a GrandMA 1 or 2? If you are simply trying to send the console a command to trigger an executer button/fader, you would be far better sending a telnet command if its a 2. Or Midi trigger if its a 1 or 2. Another option is using OLA (opendmx.net).

I’ve never been able to get artnet to work with OF. Its been on my list of things I would like to have, but just hasn’t happened yet.

Ryan

Hi,

Yes i know i could use MIDI. There was actually already a patch doing this but it was in max and required a software midi interface to receive and send command to the GrandMA. So wanted to use oF with DMX and wanted to understand Artnet.

So i managed to make my app use Artnet. That was tricky but everything works fine now.

I should have a look to OLA anyway. What is it about exactly ?

I you need some code let me know.

I would love some code for Artnet if you don’t mind!

OLA is a pretty cool little app which basically takes anything in and converts it to anything out. Patching between too. Its very cool. Its a bit limited though with artnet since it sticks to the original Artnet spec of only being 4 universes.

Ok, i wil try OLA :wink:

here are some code :

I am using this addon : https://github.com/hiroyuki/ofxArtnet

in testApp.h

//DECLARE AN ARTNET NODE  
ofxArtnet anNode;  

//DECLARE DMX DATA = 512 BYTES  
unsigned char dmxData[512];  

in testApp.cpp - setup()

// ARTNET SETUP  
// IP is our Node IP : machine on which the app runs  
// 0xFD corresponds to the Subnet+Universe we are referencing in Hexadecimal  
// Here we have Subnet 16 (F) Subnet 13 (D)  
anNode.setup("2.20.20.20", 0xFD);  

// Building Data DMX frame  
// DMX Frame is 512 bytes with value 0 to 255. Here we set every channel to 0.  
for(int i = 0; i<512; i++) {  
	dmxData[i] = 0;  
}  

// Set DMX channel 1 with the value 255  
dmxData[0] = 255;  

in testApp.cpp - keyPressed(int key)

// When key stroke, send the DMX frame (dmxData) which is 512 Bytes long over artnet to the specified IP (Here GrandMA)  
anNode.sendDmx("2.168.14.52", dmxData, 512);  

2 Likes

I would love some code for Artnet if you don’t mind!