Arduino project causing OSX to crash, not able to boot

Hi all,
I’ve been making this relatively simple sketch using an Arduino with a few sensors. When one value from one of the sensors changes to a value higher than a fixed base value, a video starts to play.

Now, for some reason, whenever the sketch is run it crashes after the video is triggered and all my usb peripherals stop working (Wacom). A few minutes later the computer crashes and I get the dreaded osx message of “your computer has shut down because of a problem”. This happened a few times. I gradually tested it a few times by commenting my code and slowly uncommenting and running it until it eventually crashed. This time was different though.

Now it does not boot and it remains in the screen with the Apple logo and a very slowly advancing progress bar.

Any ideas why this would happen? How can I get cash reports to try and figure out what happened?

Extra info:
OSX mavericks
oF (0.8.4 I believe)
Edit: imac 27"

Cheers!

Now, for some reason, whenever the sketch is run it crashes after the video is triggered and all my usb peripherals stop working (Wacom).

From the symptoms, I would wildly speculate something amuck at the USB/Arduino layer, but it is difficult to say without reducing the issue a bit - Are you able to reproduce the kernel panic if the Arduino is used but the video is not triggered? What about if you trigger the video playback from a different source like the keyboard?

Well, I cannot reproduce the error because my hard drive stopped working. The computer restarted one final time before not being able to boot again.

I was not able to repair or format the HD not even in OSX recovery boot through terminal. I’ve sent the computer to repair and hope it’ll be fixed soon.

Before this happened, I was retracing my steps and the error happened once a video was loaded into ofVideoGrabber when triggered by the Arduino. I could cout without issues, but when I uncommented the videoPlayer.loadMovie() everything crashed. That’s when my HDD stopped working.

Not sure if these issues are related or just coincidental timing. What do you think? Can an oF sketch mess up a HD?

The kernel panic log would have some clues as to what could have caused the machine to :skull:, unless you can reproduce on another machine, it might have been your dead drive.