Alternative to Community Core Vision (CCV)

Hi there everyone,

Is there a modern alternative to Community core Vision for blob tracking and calibration.??
I dont know what happened in the last couple years, that this technologies just disappeared. Nothing is currently maintained.

Im looking to make a Touch Wall using IRCamera + IR Spotlight + Blob Tracking software.
But all these tools that were the GO-TO solutions are gone.

Any suggestion ?

Hello,

I’ve been working for a while to develop a similar solution (
I’ve called ofxSensors4Games

). My guess is that I’ve added some improvements than CCV has not. CCV was thought for finguer touch detection. Sensors4Games allow more options and try to be more adhoc.
It uses mainly the camera to detect and track over several areas ( as many as you want) separately and apply there different computer vision algorithms ( background subs, learning back subs, color detection, etc with ofxCv ). It use tracking persistence (CCV has not). Send results by UDP or OSC and for windows can share the camera input using Spout.

Let me know if you want to use it. Is working but should be good to improve it. GUI (using ofxImGui), clean code, and updated and improved documentation.
You can send me an email to carles.gutierrez[at]gmail.com and use github to talk and solve any issues.

Cheers!

2 Likes

ohhh maaan !!.. I will definitely check this out.
Thank you for sharing.

Quick question:
Do you recommend an IR Camera ?

oops… just realized is a Windows project. I’ll need to get a PC, im running macOS. :frowning:

Hi!
I will try to move it into OSX. Almost all libraries are compatible, so don’t worry, that will work. But i will need some time.

Cheers!

Im already trying… but Im getting.
'ofGLBaseTypes.h' file not found

From the Helper.h in ofxImGui
Is so weird, the file is not in the OF source code folders.

Hey Omarojo,
Let’s post this as a github issue and check all about porting into osx there.
https://github.com/carlesgutierrez/ofxSensors4Games/issues/1

Cheers

Hi @omarojo ,

i also wounder last year at my research where all this is gone…

you can have a look at the cross platform reacTIVision SW
its more for fiducial than blob. but has an blob detection also build in…
i have used it (for fiducial tracking) early last year.
last summer i tried adding multi-camera support - but it is in a buggy state currently… (some configurations work others crash…)
it uses also OSC to send the Information as TUIO Messages

@charli_e your thing looks cool!
i definitely have to find time to get started with OF and then try your ofxSensors4Games package :slight_smile:
does it also support multiple webcams as input? (stitching them together in some way?)
or are there other good packages that can be used to do the stiching and lens corrections and then feed this pre-processed signal to your solution? (i don’t know the OF ecosystem…)
and do you think it could also work on linux?

regarding cameras: i used the Kurokesu ‘USB C1’ Camera
these allow for CS mount objective - so you can use one that fits your application…
and also you can change the filters - so switch from IR-Blocking to None or IR-Pass filter.
way back i researched a little to get a better idea of what IR-wavelength and filters are the best fit for this camera…
i found the sensitivity chart for the sensor in the Aptina AR0330 sensor datasheet
and used this as guide-line to choose a filter and the IR-LED-Wavelength.
for this chip there is a peak in the 800-850nm area. So i choose LEDs with 850nm…
i also used his HiPass filter - also you theoretically can get a better signal to noise ratio if you use a band-pass filter that has a center of ~840nm and width of 40nm (allow for some variations in the LEDs). But its difficult to find one with these parameters in single quantity and then that fits the camera filter size… (be careful some of the band-pass filters are stacked designs - so they tend to get really big and so don’t fit.)

another camera module i find interesting is the See3CAM_CU30 it can do FHD with 60fps (and has the same AR0330 sensor…) it has a M12 mount for the objective.
eventually this makes for a better reaction time for a interactive things…

hope you find some of the information useful :wink:
sunny greetings
stefan

hey,
Great camera and Lens/Filter details!

does it also support multiple webcams as input? (stitching them together in some way?)

ofxSensors4Games is not supporting multiple cameras for now but that sounds a great improve. A new feature to add to the GitHub project. Also implementing ofxMachineVision to allow different cameras with threading features.

or are there other good packages that can be used to do the stitching and lens corrections and then feed this pre-processed signal to your solution? (i don’t know the OF ecosystem…)
I guess that might be implemented using Opencv features (ofxCv ) but that kind of tasks are quite CPU expensive… Would be be interesting to listen different solutions about this.

and do you think it could also work on linux?

Yes no problem about. Should be easy to port. I will add this soon too.