Advice for "simple" LED control system

Hello!

I’ve been asked to propose a system for controlling 7 groups of single color LED’s from an oF app. I have experience using RGB/NeoPixel LEDs but they are overkill for this project and I’d prefer using controller hardware that is a little more ‘off the shelf’ than wiring up my own data and power distribution stuff to FadeCandy boards or an Arduino, etc.

There will be 7 strands of white LED’s, each one is lighting up a “letter” of a company logo. They only need to get turned off and on, NOT individually addressable. Just lighting up a letter or groups of letters at a time.

I’ve looked at ofxDMX and the ENTTEC USB Pro mk2, and they seem great, but I don’t have any experience with it/them and finding an appropriate box to wire the LEDs than can be controlled by DMX.

Any advice is very welcome!

-Nick

Hello Nick,

What kind of LEDs or Ligths did you decide to use? This will finally determine what you will need.

For example if lights has [ 0-10VDC Drivers] (http://www.acuitybrands.com/products/detail/257121/fresco/fresco-dxt/assemblies-for-high-performance-dmx-networks/-/media/products/fresco/257121/document/0-10vdc-best-practice_pdf.pdf) That as you already said is controllable by an Arduino.
Might work find a DMX decoder to for 0-10 V. No tested, but just googling this decoder DMX into RGB LEDs driver for LED strips ( 5-24 V) module lamp might do the work.

Best, might be use lighting that already has controllable DMX connection so connect the ENTTEC to a DMX splitter and control all luminaries directly.

Cheers

Probably this topic is out of the Advanced Thread , so should relocated in another one.

Hey @charli_e - thank you for the advice, and sorry it’s taken so long to acknowledge!

I ended up going this route:
the LED’s were the only part already decided - simple 2 lead white LED’s from LEDINC.biz.

I found this LED driver:

and 8 channels was perfect for my purpose. We found an inexpensive 12VDC 30A power supply to power it all.

We got the ENTTEC USB Pro (mk1), modified a 5-pin XLR cable to just have raw cable leads at the end to wire into the LED Driver board and after a little trial and error with the DIPs, everything worked! ofxDMX is very easy to use.

In the end it was actually quite easy, and I’m thankful for having experience with other types of lighting control besides Arduino & NeoPixel. Simple is best!

Cheers!