Addon supporting new new OpenNI?

As most of you may know, in December 2011 Prime Sense released a new OpenNI version that require NO POSE to start tracking the skeleton. I need to use these but I am a bit confused by the jungle of versions.
So, is there an addon like ofxOpenNI which is compatible with the December unstable versions of OpenNI?
Versions in detail:
OpenNI Binaries 1.5.2.4
OpenNI Middleware 1.5.2.7
OpenNI Hardware Binaries 1.0.2.2

Thank you!!!

OpenNI is completely backwards and future compatibility.
The new libs work with te actual ofxOpenNI. I’m using those.
Besides this I created a branch of ofxOpenNI in which I implemented the NO POSE tracking, yet it was with openNI 1.4.1. I haven’t cheched yet the newest libs for it’s new capabilities.
https://github.com/roymacdonald/ofxOpenNI
cheers!

It kinda depends - be aware that gameoverhack’s version is modified to allow the easy loading of the libs on the mac . You can see how he does that here:
http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/running-ofxopenni-/6687/10

If you are looking for a version of ofxOpenNI that immediately supports the above libs packaged nicely for the mac you may have to dig and modify some stuff yourself for the new functionality

I have found sometimes that it is easier to just use OpenNI directly, again, depends what you want to do.

Just got an Xtion Pro Live and ran a couple of tests using ofxOpenNI2 and the latest unstable OpenNI, Nite and Sensor installed on the system

gameover has recently updated his version of ofxOpenNI that includes the new libraries but I haven’t tested that yet

I am not sure if this is considered “No Pose” (I didn’t change any ofxOpenNI2 code pose related) but the calibration is far faster and just seems to require the limbs to be separated from the body as opposed to the Cactus Pose

The Xtion Pro Live also does depth at 60fps/320x240 which is the second part of the demo

http://vimeo.com/34795851

@jvcleave,
is there any advantage between the kinect and the asus?

cheers!

Haven’t done much with it but first impressions is that the form factor is smaller/nicer but twice the price. It doesn’t require an external power supply but that may be a bad thing as USB bandwidth can be precious. The USB cable is not as long as the Kinect’s. No tilt and I am not sure there if there is an accelerometer.

It doesn’t seem to have much more advantages from what you describe, specially at twice the price.
I was told that the asus has a much bigger depth range than the kinect, which in a lot of cases is really useful.
Once you’ve figured out it’s advantages it would be great to have a “review” from you.

Regards!

Just a heads up for everyone. Asus has stopped producing the Xtion Pro Live. I have spoken to Asus in Australia and Asia and they have no plans to start production again.

Disapointing but hopefully this will be good and have USB3 so we can get a higher resolution
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/kinect-for-pc-hardware-announced-will-have-near-mode–1042822

here it is for $250: http://amzn.com/B006UIS53K. anyone used it yet, particularly with oxKinect on a Mac?

there’s also http://www.softkinetic.com/Solutions/DepthSensecameras.aspx with 15cm near range, but it’s $500.

would the softkinect work with the OF openni addon?

Hi,

I am
-running on OSX 10.10.3 Yosemite, mac book pro
-Xcode Version 6.3.2 (6D2105)
-homebrew/science/openni-1.5.7.10 already installed
-[Hardware] Asus Xtion LIVE
-Base SDK 10.10 and 10.9

I am trying to run the demo one of basic app from gameover/oxfOpenNI.
Managed to compile and run, but the device is not found.

Here is the Xcode output

[warning] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Using a NASTY hack to silence SIGNAL errors on exit - read the comments at line ~1712 of ofxOpenNI.cpp
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Init context…
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Context initilizedstatus:OK
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: openni driver version: 1.5.4.0
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Adding licence…
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Adding licence: PrimeSense 0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=status:OK
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Init device…
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Enumerate devicesstatus:Can’t create any node of the requested type!
[warning] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Device: PrimeSense/SensorKinect/5.1.0.25failed:The device is not connected!
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Found0devices connected
[warning] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: REAL Device could not be initialized - you can still use an ONI
[warning] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Using a NASTY hack to silence SIGNAL errors on exit - read the comments at line ~1712 of ofxOpenNI.cpp
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Starting ONI player:/Users/kris/perchLib/libraries/OpenNI-2.2/Tools/Captured.oni
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Loading ONI: /Users/kris/perchLib/libraries/OpenNI-2.2/Tools/Captured.onistatus:The file is corrupted!
[ error ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: ONI Device could not be initialized
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Adding generator typeXN_NODE_TYPE_IMAGE
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Creating XN_NODE_TYPE_IMAGE generatorstatus:Can’t create any node of the requested type!
[ error ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: setGeneratorResolution() called on invalid generator!
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Adding generator typeXN_NODE_TYPE_DEPTH
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Creating XN_NODE_TYPE_DEPTH generatorstatus:Can’t create any node of the requested type!
[ error ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: setGeneratorResolution() called on invalid generator!
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Depth generator is not on
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Adding generator typeXN_NODE_TYPE_USER
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Creating XN_NODE_TYPE_USER generatorstatus:Can’t create any node of the requested type!
[verbose] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Starting XN_NODE_TYPE_USER generatorstatus:Can’t create any node of the requested type!
[notice ] ofxOpenNIDevice[0]: Starting ofxOpenNI with threading
[warning] ofThread: - name: Thread 1 - Calling startThread with verbose is deprecated.
[verbose] ofThread: - name: Thread 1 - Started Thread.