Add ofxSyphon to a project

Hi guys!

I’m really new to Openframework, and my knowledge of C++ is close to zero.
I recently downloaded ofxReactionDiffusion https://github.com/matsune/ofxReactionDiffusion and I wanted to add to this project the addon ofxSyphon https://github.com/astellato/ofxSyphon

Here is my project -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vDhNQiXLkfM3V6ZS0yZHkyTG8

When I run the project an error occurs:

" ld: 8 duplicate symbols for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation) "

I googled it and I found that means that I have some code the is a duplicate or something similar but I didn’t find a solution.

Anyone knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

it would be helpful to know what the duplicate symbol is – can you provide more info ?

my guess is that you may have included sample / example code from one of the two addons so you are getting a duplicate symbol on main(), etc since there are multiple main.cpp files.

are you adding the addons via the project generator?

1 Like

Hi Zach,

thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure how to know what symbol is duplicated. Here the screenshot of the error: screenshot

yes I’m adding the addons through project generator.

Thanks again

I see you also use an addon ofxGui, have you included it to your project when you create it via the project generator?

I’ve just made your code working through this process following,

a. create a project through the project generator
*include addons “ofxReactionDiffusion & ofxSyphon & ofxGui”

b. replace all of your codes (main.cpp & ofApp.cpp & ofApp.h) into SRC folder in your project folder

c. comment out or delete these 2 lines in your ofApp.h

//#ifndef _TEST_APP
//#define _TEST_APP

hope this help

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

I just tried what you said but it still not working, the problem is the same:

“ld: 8 duplicate symbols for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)”

Hi @indvsn,
a duplicate symbol usually means that you have two classes that have the same name or that you added more than once the same file.
Please expand all the “folders” from your project in xcode’s project navigator (the leftmost pane).
That will probably reveal something. best

1 Like

yea like as @roymacdonald said, there might be something duplicated by the chance. have you tried to create a new project as the way I mentioned from the scratch? or have you just updated your existing project with project generator?

pls let me know if the problem’s still happening even tho you create a new project, it might be helpful that you would send me your entire project folder which you created again.

1 Like

Hi Roy,

I was sending you the screenshot of my folders when I realised that I had 2 same folder in ofxSyphon!

Now it is working!

Thank you!

yes I created a new project from scratch, probably I did a mess with the original ofxSyphon folder so it didn’t work!

Thank you!