Accelerated C++

I’m starting to look at OF again and have been trying to figure out how I would teach this thing, so I’ve been reading a few C++ books to see how people explain the language.

I’m about halfway through Accelerated-C++,-Practical-Programming-by-Example by Andrew Keonig & Barbara E. Moo. Has anyone else here read it?

It is very different from all the other C++ books that dryly give you a list of parts for an engine without really teaching you how they fit together. Instead, Accelerated C++ starts from Chapter 1 with the standard library, namespaces, etc., and works through simple examples that use only the stuff you need, but without shying from the hard stuff. Since each example is simple, the hard stuff actually makes sense on the first read (rare for me). It’s a little wierd, but quite effective.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), OpenFrameworks hides a lot of the background need-to-knows from you, so you can get coding with only basic C++. So you don’t actually need this book to work with OpenFrameworks; in fact it might even confuse you to start with it. But I still find it very good for understanding the logic of the language, especially the way the standard library was designed to make programming in C++ more structured.

It’s also reassured me that you *can* program with this language wisely, and avoid a lot of the pitfalls that made me cringe when I first learned how the language worked. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so harsh in my previous posts :oops:

Thanks for that.
Funily enough I just spent a while researching reference books and ended up ordering C+±Primer-Plus. It hasn’t arrived yet but I was interested in a basic round up of things like pointers which are not seen in Processing/Java.

To that end I always found the Processing Comparison-Page really useful. As I know you have some really useful bits of p5 code on your blog Mr abstractmachine, it might be a good time to enquire what the process is for contributing to the documentation… well at least over the next 3, 6, 12 months… a WIKI perhaps? As OF is still only a baby, it would be very nice to keep all the code/references/examples together.

Karl