Absoulte beginner questions

Hello to everyone !

I just came across this awesome creation while searching for ideas for my c++ project. A friend forwarded me here to get amused.

I wish to do something using OF for my C++ project however I need to get some doubts cleared.
I searched around your website but couldn’t find any Getting Started guide.

anyway,
a little bit about me. I’m a post graduation student. I’m a fairly experienced .NET developer… never really worked in C++ but I can make it to work. No issues with the language or graphics concepts etc.

First thing I would like to know is, do I have to have special hardware to build interactive software ? Its kind of limiting environment I’m in. I can get a projector and cameras but not much of fancy sensors. Touch screen/device is out of question as well.
I checked few videos and all of them required some different kind of hardware… [whats used for Magic Torch thingi ?]

then there’s limited Time. I must manage it before ~15th November. and thats not dedicated time. I’ll be having regular 9am to 4pm college + writing assignments etc. I am aware that answer is relative, still, how much time do you think one fair programmer should need ? [right, will be doing this alone]

Thats very much for now.

Thank You

Hi!

It always depends on what you want to do. A projector is always recommended, also a webcam or cam is needed very often (PS3 Eye is cheap + good + can be modded easily).

From what I guess you mean that video:
http://vimeo.com/1333176

I guess that he used a modded cam that only captures infraled light and an infrared torch.

[quote author=“omie”]
then there’s limited Time. I must manage it before ~15th November. and thats not dedicated time. I’ll be having regular 9am to 4pm college + writing assignments etc. I am aware that answer is relative, still, how much time do you think one fair programmer should need ? [right, will be doing this alone]

Thats very much for now.
Thank You[/quote]

How much time you will need also depends on what you are planning to do. OF is made for rapid develeopment, you can pull up project pretty fast. You first have to learn how things work in OF and how you have to approach different problems that deal with interactivity.

As many code is flying around here and the community is pretty active, I would give OF a try for your poject.
Have a great time,
take care,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian !

Thanks for reply. Cleared most of my doubts.

I’ll be doing some deeper search for more. Will be around :slight_smile: