A clean Visual C++ project file

I am moving from Codewarrior/Dev C++ to Visual C++ Express.

Whats the best way to start with a clean project file for use with Open Frameworks. I have copied an example, renamed it, changed OF_FULLSCREEN to OF_WINDOW but when I run it, it still uses the old files I guess as runs in full screen.

I still haven’t been able to fix this yet.

In moviePlayer example within VC++ express I cleaned out the build by…
(menu) Build > Clean solution
Build > Clean openFrameworksApp

Then when I try to compile the project, I get this error

1>Compiling…
1>testApp.cpp
1>c:\openframeworks\v0.02\libs\openframeworks\utils\ofconstants.h(20) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
1>Build log was saved at “file://c:\OpenFrameWorks\v0.02\app\moviePlayerExample\obj\Debug\BuildLog.htm”
1>openFrameworksApp - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped

I think this is my misunderstanding as to what files vc++ express uses. Any advice welcome.

did you follow all the steps in the vc++ setup ?

http://www.openframeworks.cc/installati-…-ss-edition

it looks like maybe you are missing the platform sdk-- or maybe the path to the sdk is wrong?

here they give some different approaches to adding the platform SDK :

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo-…-4&SiteID=1

and alot of info…

• z

Thanks, this has solved it.

When I compile the imageLoaderExample it seems to process the files. I get no errors but at the same time no executable. When I build it look like it is compiling every single example.cpp that came in the download. E.g.

1>------ Build started: Project: openFrameworksApp, Configuration: Release Win32 ------  
1>Compiling...  
1>ofSerial.cpp  
1>ofVideoPlayer.cpp  
1>ofVideoGrabber.cpp  
1>ofQtUtils.cpp  
1>ofUtils.cpp  
1>ofMath.cpp  
1>ofSoundStream.cpp  
1>ofSoundPlayer.cpp  
1>ofTrueTypeFont.cpp  
1>ofTexture.cpp  
1>ofImage.cpp  
1>ofGraphics.cpp  
1>ofAppRunner.cpp  
1>testApp.cpp  
1>Linking...  
1>Generating code  
1>Finished generating code  
1>Embedding manifest...  
1>adding DLLs and creating data folder  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\fmodex.dll  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\fmodexL.dll  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\FreeImage.dll  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\FreeImagePlus.dll  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\FreeType-6.dll  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\glut32.dll  
1>C:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\\..\..\other\dlls\Zlib.dll  
1>7 File(s) copied  
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\tim\Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\obj\Release\BuildLog.htm"  
1>openFrameworksApp - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)  
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========  

I can’t think of what I might have missed from the install doc.
(sdk, ditrectX and set the paths). Can you explain how you got VC 2005 express to produce the executable?

Hi Timmport,

What you are doing is right.

Did you realise you have posted the build log for fontsExample and not imageLoaderExample?

In VS, you choose between building a debug version or release version. In this instance you have built a Release version.

Look in :
*Desktop\open_library\0.04_vs\app\fontsExample\release* and there is a file called openFrameworksApp.exe, that is your compiled executable.

When I build it look like it is compiling every single example.cpp that came in the download

Those aren’t the example applications, those are the libraries that make up openFrameWorks. Every project you build will have those files in, to do graphics, sound, video etc. Once you have built the project once, the next time you build it will only need to update changes, so it won’t build everything from scratch again.

Can you see openFrameworksApp.exe ?

The new openFrameworksApp.exe is exactly where you said it would be -in the release folder. Thanks for the quick response.