A bug in ofXml?

I had random crashes in my application that was using ofXml to read configuration files, that in spite of my efforts could not be reproduced with regularity nor eliminated.

Since I was (and am) in a tight schedule I replaced xml with a simple “ini” file reader I built on the fly, far from perfect but works for what I need. This solved the crashes problem.

I wanted to share the problem here but it was hard for me to give a minimum sample code showing the problem (it was too random) so I gave up. Trying to use the “analyze code” of XCode 5 I got a couple of what it calls “Logic errors” saying

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/development/Video/of_v0.8.0_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofXml.cpp:289:33: Called C++ object pointer is null
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/development/Video/of_v0.8.0_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofXml.cpp:777:45: Called C++ object pointer is null

May be this could have something to do with my old problem… I don’t have the knowledge to investigate about this, but may be someone familiar with that code could have a look at it.

Davide

thanks for this report. I will check and see if this is still an issue in the master branch.

Maybe I’m having the same problem.
I use XML in the same way as Davide, to read config data.
When my ofXml object goes out of scope the application crashes.