.3ds data which is exported from Shade 3D cannot be loaded

Dear,

I’m a Newbie of oF. I am helped a lot from this forum. But the topic I would like to know is not posted by anyone so I’m writing this.

Now I’m trying to load 3ds data which is exported from Shade 3D, using ofx3DModelLoader.
At first, this data is .stl and made by Photoshop. This .stl is converted to 3ds by Shade 3D to load by oF.

It seems that code is okay because I could succeed to load other simple 3ds model data which I found in a certain website.

But it seems the 3ds and stl model what I really would like to load by oF also looks okay because it can be imported to other some 3d modeling soft(Meshlab).

I still can’t find where the problem is… Could you please let me know if you have come up with anything about this issue.

Thanks,
Kenji

i had this kind of issue sometime with 3DSModelLoader Addon. My problem was that i didn’t assign a material. could be aslo a problem with normals, if you can import it in Meshlab try different filters. Also you do not mention in which you are working (windows, mac, linux, Andoid…) could be myabe related to a bug in the addon. And finally why don’t you use ofxAssimpModelLoader? you can also import .3ds models with, and a lot of other formats.

Hello Kalwalt,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I don’t have much experience to handle any 3D model but do I need to something by Meshlab? What I did by Mesh lab is import stl and export stl model as 3ds… Then, about my environment, I use Mac OS 10.9.1, Xcode 5.0.2, and openFrameworks 0.8.0 (everything is latest so I have a little tough time of it.)

About AssimpModelLoder, I could find so I’m gonna try in parallel with it.

Maybe the problem is not the model. Are you sure that is not loaded or only is not displaing? Adding in setup()

ofSetLogLevel(OF_LOG_VERBOSE);

you can see in the console, if the model is loaded or not. Sometimes most of the errors is typo in the name.

After I added the command to my code I got following.

[verbose] ofx3DModelLoader: loadModel(): loading “/Users/Gkner/Pictures/cube.3ds”

It seems to be loaded I think.

And, I also tried ofxAssimpModelLoader. The result is Okay, I could load stl model without any conversion.

but one thing still have the problem is that the model is not affected by light. so convexso concave is not expressed. I might be wrong but some important information are lacked in this model? (e.g surface data…)

but one thing still have the problem is that the model is not affected by light. so convexso concave is not expressed. I might be wrong but some important information are lacked in this model? (e.g surface data…)

I never load a .stl model with ofxAssimp, but maybe model has no UV or a texture ( as i know .stl used for printing i don’t remeber if it lack of UV)? also difficult to help, could be different reasons maybe there is no light, in the scene or the normals are not correct,…

One thing in the near future, is to do a little tutorial on how to prepare the model to import for Openframeworks, but this will be possible after my thesis…

Indeed stl is usually used to print but isn’t it used in openFrameworks generally?
I don’t have much experience to deal with it so I tried to import without any hesitate. Then, it succeeded! Of course I don’t know what was happened inside this class :slight_smile:

I think it seems this question beyond this category but I got a lot of knowledge about 3D model data from you. Thanks!! If you could make some tutorials about this topics it is appreciated a lot.

Good luck with your thesis!

Indeed stl is usually used to print but isn’t it used in openFrameworks generally?

As wikipedia definition :

STL (STereoLithography) is a file format native to the stereolithography CAD software created by 3D Systems

and

it is widely used for rapid prototyping and computer-aided manufacturing. STL files describe only the surface geometry of a three dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes.

In openframeworks is used of course, depend what you want to do, for example you will find applications that create a 3d model and then export to .stl format for printing. But if you want to import and maybe you r model has a diffuse texture, a normal map and animations use collada (.dae) or .fbx, With .dae you can also export the lights and other parameter of the scene that you have created.

Thanks!! If you could make some tutorials about this topics it is appreciated a lot.

Thanks! yes, i’d like to contibute to openframeworks development and community in this way. I’m a student of fine arts not a programmer.

Good luck with your thesis!

Thank’s a lot!

Thanks for your reply. And I tried to load .dae file which is exported by Photoshop CC. I could confirm that texture data is exported with dae model data. But it seems that texture data isn’t loaded by oF… :’-(

So… I’m really sorry but could you let me know the way to export dae data with texture data using Meshlab or others? If it bothers you, please ignore it.

Thanks in advance.

I could confirm that texture data is exported with dae model data.

ok but texture data is embedded in the .dae file or is separate from it? in this last case you must put the same texture file in the the same folder where is the .dae file.

I could confirm that there was a jpg file which has the same name as dae file so it is separated I think. But it seems it depends option when export from Photoshop.

And more, I could confirm that when loading dae by assimpmodelloader, error message was printed out to console and it said that texture file is not existed. But, indicated file path is not correct. (Strange path is displayed…) It seems that the link which is included in dae file is corrupted…

I did not used a lot Photoshop extended to export .Dae files, it seems that the issue is in the path… maybe is a bug or there are other options to use, in this sense i can-t help so much. I noticed that blender (or ofxAsimpMdelLoader addon) when you export to correctly visualize in OF i need to flip the normals, instead if i use 3dsMax to export to .dae the same model everything goes perfect, every exporter handle the to export in a different manner,

Also i suggest (but maybe you have already done this) to export from Photoshop directly in your data App folder.* the model and the texture…