2d Fractal field to zoom in

Hello,

This post is somewhat related to my previous question about Perlin noise, but I’ve decided to create another one as this one is more broad.

I’m building an installation which works somewhat like microscope. I have a 1920x1920 field where some elements appear, which are quite small. The application then pans to this element and then zooms in. The element itself is scalable, so it all works well. However I need a background, which is scalable as well. And the background, that reveals more details as you “zoom in”, as in real life.

So I first thought of some scalable Noise… now a friend of mine suggested Fractals. I searched openframeworks for 2d Fractals and I don’t find much. If not, is there some other solution to this problem ? box2d particles maybe ?

There is a post-processing algorithm, that modifies the final image (sort of liquid paint effect), but it still needs a non-blurry sharp base.

Thanks
M

Hey the fractal idea may scale more than noise. There are lots of great fractal-type shaders on Shadertoy to play around with. You’ll have to adapt them for use in OF, but its sort of a fun way to start looking at what a fractal background could look like as it scales. But I think even the fractals have a point where they won’t scale anymore, maybe due to floating point limitations?

Hello again.

Wow! It’s a gem - Shadertoy !! I didn’t know it existed. Let me explore this… I wonder how difficult it is to “adapt” them in OF. I know there is an ofxShadertoy plugin in OF.

Thank you much
M

Yeah I heart Shadertoy. There is some recent discussion about adapting them in this post.

I sometimes play around with different ones on the site for a while, and modify them or simplify them, and figure out how they work. An OF version typically means replacing void mainImage() with void main(), and fragCoord with in vec2 vTexcoords (from the vertex shader), etc. Shadertoy shaders can be a great starting point for learning, and seeing what shaders can create. And don’t forget that ofBook has a nice chapter on shaders too, which covers the basics in nice detail.