0.9.4 Release Candidate 1

Hi all,

Since we released 0.9.3 there have been a few issues that have come up with IDEs that necessitated a 0.9.4 hot-fix release.

Mainly issues were with Xcode 8 / OS X10.12 SDK needing a AVFoundation based grabber and QT Creator not working after being updated to latest version.

0.9.4 has a new AVF grabber, so it would be especially helpful if people on 10.12 or using Xcode 8 could test the videoGrabberExample and make sure it works with their capture hardware.

It would be great if people could download the zips for the platforms they use and see if they notice any issues. This is a minor version with only fixes so it should be totally compatible with 0.9.3 projects.

You can download the files for every platform from:
http://openframeworks.cc/versions/v0.9.4_RC1/

Since this is a small release there’ll probably be only one RC and there should be a final release sometime by the end of next week.

Thank you for helping test the 0.9.4 release!
Change log is below.

CORE

types

/ ofParameterGroup: fix for clear not freeing the children weak_ptrs / ofParameter: clean invalid weak_ptr

PLATFORM SPECIFIC

osx

/ recompiled freeimage to fix support for 32bits
/ Change to not include QuickTime or QTKit files for 10.12 
+ New AVFoundation grabber for OS X 10.12 
linux

/ install_dependencies: add check to see if all packages are up to date
/ fix compatibility with qtcreator 4.1.0
/ fixes for serial in msys2 and linux
windows

/ fixes for msys2 with qtcreator
/ fixes for serial in msys2 and linux
ios

/ Fix to iOS examples which had missing Icon and Splash screen files.  

MacOS 10.12 Sierra/XCode 8 - Quicktime deprecation workaround
QuickTime/QuickTime.h: file not found
Problems getting started, Build fail due to issues with the QTkit and Quicktime.h
Serial communication not available until opening arduino serial monitor
OF 0.9.4 and QtCreator 4.1.0 (Linux)
Serial not working

Works for me. Noticed a few things:

1. The !defined(MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_12) seems a little problematic as it will work for now, but then be superseded by MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_13, etc. I would instead use one of the macros in AvailabilityMacros.h like AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_11_AND_LATER_BUT_DEPRECATED_IN_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_12

2. Perhaps remove the examples/video/osxVideoRecorder example? It won’t build. Or at least include a bunch of info about how it will not build without a pre 10.12 SDK.

thanks!

I have a problem with the qtcreator project on arch linux 64bits. Helpers.js fails with "of_v0.9.4_RC1_linux64_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/qtcreator/modules/of/helpers.js:-1: error: error: There is a problem to detect the ‘find’ command. The problem is where.exec("where.exe", ['find']); It looks like this is the windows version. Further down it is looking for msys2.

Also the project generator app is missing. There is only the commandLine app and ofxProjectGenerator.

the qtcreator problem is now fixed in the 0.9.4 branch, there was an error introduced by a last minute change for qtcreator in msys2

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

Hi Arturo,

Thanks for doing this. I get new build error on OSX with QtC 4.1 using the git branch

error: argument to ‘-l’ is missing (expected 1 value)

cheers

should be fixed now

Yep, fixed, works on OS X 10.10.2 + Qt 4.1.0. (not 3.6.1). Thanks Arturo!

Btw the Qt Setup guide looks outdated… (?)

Testing on: OS X 10.12 (16A323) with MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).

videoGrabberExample works fine.

osxVideoRecorderExample fails on:

/Users/joel/Documents/Research/openFrameworks/of_v0.9.4_RC1_osx_release/examples/video/osxVideoRecorderExample/src/ofApp.h:26:9: Use of undeclared identifier ‘ofQTKitGrabber’
/Users/joel/Documents/Research/openFrameworks/of_v0.9.4_RC1_osx_release/examples/video/osxVideoRecorderExample/src/ofApp.h:30:19: Unknown type name ‘ofVideoSavedEventArgs’
/Users/joel/Documents/Research/openFrameworks/of_v0.9.4_RC1_osx_release/examples/video/osxVideoRecorderExample/src/main.cpp:12:2: No matching function for call to ‘ofRunApp’

Both in 64bit debug mode.

just posting this issue to make sure we have feedback in one place:

https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/5286

Thanks @danomatika @JGL - I’ll add something to the videoRecorderExample so it does a warning for 10.12 and up. We’ll probably drop it or update for AVF in the next big release.

I believe MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_12 is always defined if the SDK matches or is newer. For example in that SO link for 10.9 all versions up to and including 10.9 are defined.

#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_0         1000
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_1         1010
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_2         1020
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_3         1030
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4         1040
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_5         1050
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6         1060
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7         1070
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_8         1080
#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_9         1090

So I think we are okay there ( unless I misunderstand).

Thanks for checking out the releases!
Theo

Ok cool. So as long as MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_12 is defined going forward, we’re good. Just double checking. :slight_smile:

The oscParametersSender gives an error when handling the UI

Can confirm the issue reported by @xumo
It seems to only happen for me when I check the “check” bool in the gui.

Here is another image of the stack trace.

Just wanted to say that it’s nice that 0.9.4 RC1 is out the same day as CUDA 8, which is the only CUDA version compatible with VS2015.

Keep it up!

Found two problems using Latest version of QtCreator - First one with with GraphicsExample

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libfmodex.dylib
Referenced from: /Volumes/Work1/Development/of_v0.9.4_RC1_osx_release/examples/graphics/graphicsExample/bin/graphicsExample_debug.app/Contents/MacOS/graphicsExample_debug
Reason: image not found

Second one with advanced3Dexample

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
“orthoCamera::orthoCamera()”, referenced from:
ofApp::ofApp() in main.cpp.o
“swarm::init(int, float, float)”, referenced from:
ofApp::setup() in ofApp.cpp.o
“swarm::swarm()”, referenced from:
ofApp::ofApp() in main.cpp.o
“vtable for grid”, referenced from:
grid::grid() in main.cpp.o
NOTE: a missing vtable usually means the first non-inline virtual member function has no definition.
“vtable for swarm”, referenced from:
swarm::~swarm() in main.cpp.o
swarm::~swarm() in ofApp.cpp.o
NOTE: a missing vtable usually means the first non-inline virtual member function has no definition.
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

same problem for me

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libfmodex.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/kimonsatan/code/OF_latest_git/apps/teachingApps/qtTest/bin/qtTest_debug.app/Contents/MacOS/qtTest_debug
Reason: image not found

I can confirm the oscParametersSender bug too.
But for all the other examples, i did not find something that brakes on macOS 10.11.5 and xcode 7.2. Congratulations!

I think the problem comes from the Qbs ‘Rule’ that have been introduced to replace deprecated ‘Transformer’.
I have done a PR on MSYS2 but cannot test it on Mac. Do you mind to have a look ?