0.11.2 compile issues on OSX

I have been using 0.11.0 succesfully on both Windows and OSX for over a year. As there seem to be some bug fixes that affect my apps I wanted to start using the 0.11.2. However, I cannot get it to work on either platform :frowning:

On OSX I have run the install_template but whichever examples I try to run, I keep getting errors. Here’s an excerpt from the compile output in qt creator when compiling one of the audio output examples:

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
“____chkstk_darwin”, referenced from:
RtApiCore::getDefaultInputDevice() in rtaudio.a(RtAudio.o)
RtApiCore::getDefaultOutputDevice() in rtaudio.a(RtAudio.o)
RtApiCore::getDeviceInfo(unsigned int) in rtaudio.a(RtAudio.o)
RtApiCore::probeDeviceOpen(unsigned int, RtApi::StreamMode, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned long, unsigned int*, RtAudio::StreamOptions*) in rtaudio.a(RtAudio.o)
“___isPlatformVersionAtLeast”, referenced from:
_singleipconnect in curl.a(libcurl_la-connect.o)
_darwinssl_connect_common in curl.a(libcurl_la-darwinssl.o)
_darwinssl_version_from_curl in curl.a(libcurl_la-darwinssl.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
Process failed with exit code 1.

I have tried both the nightly build as well as 2 earlier 0.11.2 release, same issue.

Any idea how to start to troubleshoot this? I read on the github page that it could be related to the make file for qt-creator?

Note that when using make directly from terminal I get similar errors…

Hi @Maker_Bob - could you share more info on your setup?

• What version of macOS?
  • What version of Xcode?
  • What sort of machine?

Also can you try building / running an example from 0.11.2?
ie: examples/templates/allAddonsExample/

Sometimes people try and copy their old projects into a new OF folder but are still using their old Xcode project files and this will often break. Usually each OF release will need the Xcode project regenerated using the project generator.

Hope that helps!
Theo

Hi Theo,

thanks for the response. I’m running it on a macbook Air, running High Sierra (10.13.6) OS. And I am using QT creator 4.6.1

I have seen more troubleshooting around xcode so I guess that’s more popular, but the 0.11.0 works fine for me with QT creator so I know that is configured correctly. I’ll try an example.

Same error for that addon-example:

“___isPlatformVersionAtLeast”, referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Ah yeah,

Ah I think the issue is 10.14 is the min supported macOS for 0.11.2.
We switched a few libs over for M1 support in 0.11.1 and 0.11.2 and I think supporting the newer M1 chip meant that we had to move up the min OS to 10.14.

The “____chkstk_darwin”, referenced from: errors usually mean mismatched min OS

I am not sure if there is an easy fix here. :frowning:

You could try and run a hybrid / patched copy by taking the 0.11.0 release ( clean download ) and copying all the files inside of libs/openFrameworks/ except the sound/fmod files from a clean 0.11.2, but I don’t know if that will give you most of the code fixes without their being library / linking issues.

1 Like

OK, that actually makes sense in terms of the error message (platformversionatleast). I tried it on a different machine that runs 1 OS higher (Mojave), which is 10.14, but same error. Where could I find out what the minimum OS specs are for OSX? This would be good to actually have written at the downloads page… :slight_smile:

I had a look at the github page but cannot locate minimum specs or something similar there.

@Maker_Bob - Good point! We should have that listed on the download page.

Hmm, I was using 0.11.2 with 10.14.8 for over a year ( finally updated to macOS 12.0 ).
Is that with the 0.11.2 examples or with an existing project? Can you try with Xcode?

Maybe this is an issue with Qt Creator and not Xcode?

I used one of the examples from the 0.11.2 package. The specific OS is 10.14.6, but I suppose that shouldn’t make a difference? I’ll need to check Xcode, never used that before.

OK so I got xcode to work and tried it. No luck :frowning: it does give a more descriptive error message, in that the mac os deployment target for the example app is higher than my os (which is 10.14.6). So I tried to lower that setting to e.g. 10.13 but the error message persists. I guess it is hardcoded into the OF libs somehow?

edit: I found more descriptive error even from the console, and it states that e.g. in the OFfileutils.h there is a reference to 'path, which is only introduced in OS 10.15 - so my guess is that is the minimum requirement in this case.

Hmm can you try with a fresh unzipped 0.11.2 and Xcode?
( with no modification of the project - just build and run ).

For me I see 10.9 as the deployment target in the settings.

If you continue to have errors could you paste the full error messages into here?
Also which version of Xcode is it?

Thanks!!
Theo

I am having the same issue with fresh unzipped of-0.11.2 on Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6). Not using XCode because I don’t have it installed, just running make from console in the myApps/exmptyExample directory.

Error message:

"___isPlatformVersionAtLeast", referenced from:
1 Like

I upgraded to Catalina and it worked for me so I figured the minimum os for 0.11.2 is actually 10.15

installed XCode (11.3.1) and it works fine for me now - even building directly via make. I don’t know why - possibly XCode included a better version of libcurl?