0.06 test on Ubuntu Hardy - trouble with ofVideoPlayer - gst

First of all, congratulations for the new release. Just read the whole changelog and there’s a bunch of new stuff I found really clever.

So, I tried the new 0.06 release, on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. When I tried to compile the emptyExample, I got the following errors:

…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/video/ofVideoPlayer.h|9|warning: gst/gst.h: No such file or directory|

…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/video/ofVideoPlayer.h|13|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘GMainLoop’ with no type|

…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/video/ofVideoPlayer.h|14|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘GstElement’ with no type|

…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/video/ofVideoPlayer.h|19|error: ‘guint64’ does not name a type|

When I looked at my installed packages and libraries, everything seemed to be in order. I was able to run the install_dependencies.sh script without problems…

By the way, I was able to run a 0.06 preRelease mentioned in this thread: http://www.openframeworks.cc/forum/view-…-ayer+linux

But at that time I was on Ubuntu Intrepid… had to downgrade to Hardy due to -rt kernel issues.

The 0.05 examples run without problems, but then ofVideoPlayer was still running through fobs

Any pointers would be really appreciated.

sincerely,
Rodrigo

I think you need to install gstreamer if you haven’t got it installed already. Not sure what the apt-get is for that.

Arturo will be able to answer your question better!
Theo

hey rodrigo

surely you need to execute the scripts inside scripts/ubuntu, that will install all the dependencies you need + the svn version of codeblocks.

take a look at the readme file in the package, everything is explained there.

also with hardy you can have problems with color conversion with the videoGrabber as the ffmpeg version that is in hardy doesn’t seem to handle yuv->rgb very well.

for unrelated reasons, i had to re-install hardy; and, to my surprise, this time it worked. I think I ran the same sequence of steps: downloading of, running the install_dependencies script and finally the install_codeblocks script.

this time it worked, but I really have no idea what the problem before was…

thanks a bunch for your attention and replies!

Rodrigo